Monday, November 28, 2011

3 cheeses and veal cabbage cake

Confused yet? A cake with cheese, veal and cabbage? Did she fell on her head?

No I didn't! I saw the recipe on Ricardo and it seemed so good I had to try it. But as always, I changed the recipe to adapt it to my need, well... my husband's needs for meat. I have to say that is one of the best thing I ate in a long time and much easier then expected. However, next time I will make it I will prepare a lot in advance and make sure to let it sit longer then 5 minutes. That way I may avoid the mess it did on my kitchen floor.

Oh yeah, and I won't make that for a weekday diner either, too fancy!




Ingredients;

10-15 leaves from a Savoie cabbage
1 1/2 cups of leek, finely sliced (I used celery)
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of white wine
1/4 pound of Brie cheese
1/4 pound of Le Fin Renard cheese (both cheese rind removed and cut in cubes)
3 potatoes sliced in the mandolin
1 sweet potato sliced in the mandolin
1/2 pound to a pound of grounded veal
1 onion, chopped
3 cups of milk
garlic
1/2 cup of cheddar, grated
rosemary
salt and pepper


I started by blanching the cabbage leaves for about 4-5 minutes. Once cooked I drained and set aside.

In a pan I cooked my onions until they were tender, put my veal in and cooked it. Then set aside.

In a skillet I cooked the celery with butter until it was tender then added the wine and let it reduce until it was almost dry. I put salt and pepper then added the Brie and Fin Renard. I stirred until it was all melted and yes, you guest it, set aside.

At this point, husband was asking what was smelling so good in the kitchen and his puzzled look was priceless when I said: a cake...

In the same skillet where you melted the cheese, pour the milk, rosemary, garlic and potatoes. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. Drain the potatoes but keep the milk, you will cook the sweet potatoes the same way.

When all of this is done, you are ready to assemble.

First, preheat the oven to 375 F and position the rack in the center of the oven.

Line the bottom of a 9 in hinged cake mold with parchment paper. Put one large cabbage leaf in the bottom and line the sides of the mold with 6 leaves. making sure they stick out. Put another leave in the bottom. Put the veal mix in the bottom, add the potato mix, the cheese mix, the sweet potato mix and the shredded cheese. Press between each layer. Put a cabbage leaf on top, fold the leaves toward the middle and put more leaves till you see it's formed properly.

Wrap the mold in 2 sheets of aluminium foil, one at the bottom and one on top, covering the mold. Put the mold in a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Now this is where I went wrong. When you remove from the oven, put a plate on top (once you remove the top foil) and let it stand for 15-20 minutes. Not 5 minutes like the impatient person that I am.

Turn the mold so it is in the plate. (if you waited 15-20 minutes you shouldn't have any trouble with that step. If you did like me and only waited 5 minutes, your kitchen floor is probably covered in hot liquid, so are your hands and arms. Told you so!)

Remove the mold and cut in pieces, just like a cake. Serve it with a salad.




Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to have a piece of that cake you see, yes, that one in the picture.Mmmm Not only does it look amazing, but it was really good! Tasted like nothing I had tried before and thats why I enjoyed it so much. I don't think it will look the same if I try to make it... looks like a lot of work, but its worth it, for sure!

    ReplyDelete